Thursday, June 2, 2016

The Problem with Sobriety

I love being sober. I wake up feeling great, I always know what I did the night before and I am never hungover. It's fantastic. Except for one thing.

You know what ruins sobriety? Drunk people.

When you are drunk, you love drunk people. Hell, when you're drunk you love EVERYONE (or hate everyone, it really depends on what type of drunk you are). When you are sober...you have NO tolerance for drunk people.

Drunk people are, to put it simply, the worst. I cannot stand drunk people. Perhaps it's my penance for being drunk so often around others that now I am forced to deal with drunk people while being sober. I'm sure some of you can relate, whether you've been pregnant and forced to be sober or the DD, if you've been around drunk people and haven't been drinking, you can empathize with me.

Why are drunks the worst? For one, they are loud. Obnoxious. They have zero filter and while they are busy being 110% brutally honest with you, you are trying desperately to cling to social decorum and biting your tongue because while they can seemingly get away with saying whatever (due to the booze) you can't. It's the definition of unfair.

I've been told that my intolerance to drunk people is ridiculous. After all, almost everyone gets drunk. My question is why? I understand why college kids do, its the social norm, you're experimenting, you're partying, it's peer pressure. But why do 30 year olds need to get drunk? Why does anyone over the age of 25? I'm not talking about getting tipsy, I'm talking about drunk. Why are you not capable of pacing yourself accordingly? Why do you need to drink two bottles of wine at a party? Why do you feel the need to drink so many beers you vomit? How is that fun? How is having a hangover (at any age) fun?

I'm an alcoholic, I drank to the point of blacking out every time I drank. Because I"m an alcoholic. I have no control over my drinking. But for those of you who aren't alcoholics, why drink that much? Even on occasion? Why get so drunk that you feel sick that night or the next day? What is the point?

Drunk people are annoying beyond measure. I have met one person who is pleasant drunk...a friend of my husband who has an unnatural talent of being able to drink 12 whiskeys and act the exact same way as when he hadn't had anything to drink. Now him drunk, I don't mind. Everyone else in the universe, yes I have a problem with.

Drunk people are annoying because they are either crying over their problems, talking within a centimeter of your face, talking too loudly, repeatedly asking you the same question, offended by everything you say, talking about you literally behind your back...it's the worst. Perhaps the reason I have zero tolerance for drunk people is because, well, they suck. Maybe I am being ridiculous but I don't think it's unreasonable to expect people to act their age. I find it incredibly juvenile and immature when people get drunk. It is obviously not their first time drinking and it's obviously not their first time drinking THAT MUCH, do why are you doing it? To have an excuse to act a fool? To have an excuse to say whatever the heck you want? To have an excuse to act however you want?

Drunk people baffle me, infuriate me, and I cannot stand them. Thank God I am no longer one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment