Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Maybe I'm just too sensitive

I have always been a sensitive person. My eyes, my skin, my feelings...all sensitive. So maybe I am over reacting to this. Maybe not. Either way, I am offended.

My husband and I are pregnant with Baby #3. I used to think that everyone knew there were certain things you don't say to a pregnant woman but that theory was quickly shut down when I was pregnant (a single mom) with my first for the following were said to me, by more than one person, throughout my entire pregnancy: Your ass is huge! That means it's a boy; You know, you'll shit yourself when you give birth, don't worry, they won't drop the baby in it; Who's the father?; Why didn't you use protection:; You shouldn't eat so much; How are you going to handle being a single mom?; and, by far the worst, you should give the baby up for adoption. It was ridiculous. It was offensive. I thought I grew tough skin but apparently not.

My second pregnancy came along at an unexpected time---I was seven months engaged and we ended up having to move the wedding because our original due date was also the date of our wedding. No big deal. We were thrilled and I loved seeing my husband take in the whole pregnancy aspect for the first time. The questions weren't as offensive this time, clearly I knew who the father was, I didn't get nearly as fat, and people were genuinly happy for us. It was a nice change.

Still, I was not ready for the Baby #3 interrogations. Maybe it had been too long since I was offended by a person I knew as opposed to the random strangers on the internet who are idiots. Either way I was unprepared for the question that has greatly offended me, "So was this planned or....an accident?"

Let's get something straight, unless ou are my husband or my OB-GYN, it is none of your damn business. If this pregnancy was meticulously planned, if I did IV treatments, if I just went off my birth control, if I didn't go off my birth control, it is absolutely no concern of yours.

I have been so taken aback by this question that comes from, so far, my FAMILY members that I at first did not know how to respond. Now I just say, "This baby is a miracle and we are thrilled." Whatever that tells them, I don't know. But what I really want to say is, "IT IS NONE OF YOUR EFFING BUSINESS. Just congratulate me and move on."

Again, maybe I'm being too sensitive but let's get something straight, if what you say offends me, it's offensive (maybe just to me but still). So if you someone tells you they are pregnant, congratulate them and smile. You have questions about the conception? Ask yourself this first, are you married to this person? Are you their physician? If the answer is no, deal with your curiousity some other way and move on.

No comments:

Post a Comment